The number of people interested in learning how to deal with depression naturally has skyrocketed. By becoming educated about the potential dangers associated with many prescription medications, many people are now opting to use alternative medicine. This is not to say that natural remedies and treatments never produce side effects, bad interactions, or allergic reactions but the chance of this happening is dramatically reduced.
Of course, even natural ingredients need to be understood and respected. However, with the internet providing a wealth of information, bookstores having shelves lined with helpful books, and even medical, as well as homeopathic doctors now willing to provide guidance, identifying the most effective and safest natural solution is relatively easy. Even with assistance, there is a learning curve regarding how to deal with depression by taking a natural approach but with the information provided, choices will be easier to make. But one thing is for sure, there are many treatments for depression available, but first we want to look a little closer at the different types of depression.
Types of Depression
he reason we wanted to provide a brief overview of the different types of depression is that there are some that would respond favorably to natural remedies while others would not. The process of learning how to deal with depression starts with education. The more knowledge an individual possesses about this mental health disorder the easier it becomes to make some decisions that provide relief. The first three types of depression are considered serious, which is why more aggressive treatment options are chosen in most instances.
- Major Depressive Disorder – This type of depression is also known as Clinical Depression and Major Depression. No matter the name, a person would have symptoms daily for a minimum of two weeks. For an accurate diagnosis to be made, four out of seven symptoms must be met.
- Dysthymic Disorder – In this case, an individual is constantly depressed for a minimum of two years. Two of six symptoms would need to be present for a firm diagnosis.
- Manic Depression – The other name for this type of depression is Bipolar Disorder. With this, there are extreme highs and lows that change quickly. As far as a diagnosis, three of seven symptoms would have to be present.
As part of learning how to deal with depression naturally, the following types of this mental health issue range from mild to moderate.
- Additional Types – Following are more types of depression that tend to be of mild to moderate degrees. Because of this, natural treatments usually work quite well.
- Agitated Depression
- Anxiety Depression
- Atypical Depression
- Catatonic Depression
- Chronic Depression
- Double Depression
- Endogenous Depression
- Melancholic Depression
- Postpartum Depression
- Psychotic Depression
- Seasonal Affective Disorder
- Situational Depression
How to Deal with Depression – Natural Treatments
After speaking to a medical doctor or mental healthcare professional who agrees that alternative medicine would be an acceptable approach for the type of depression living with, an individual would need to conduct research to determine the various options available. Although the process of learning how to deal with depression would unveil a massive selection of choices, we wanted to provide some treatments that a person might consider.
Remember, the suggestions made below are merely examples of natural remedies that a person could try. We decided to focus on herbal supplements but in learning how to deal with depression naturally, an individual would quickly discover that treatments come in many forms. As an example, a person could use essential oils, teas, homemade concoctions, and more.
Often, an individual would need to try more than one treatment before finding the one that works best and of course, if the condition were to worsen, horrific side effects develop, or anything unusual occur, the natural treatment should be stopped and a medical doctor or mental health professional seen.
We also wanted to state that when it comes to understanding how to deal with depression naturally, adopting a healthy lifestyle, eating well-balanced meals, getting daily exercise, and sleeping well would also play a key role in the level of success.
- Kava Kava – This is the last natural supplement we wanted to mention. People with depression find that mood swings level off and many symptoms associated with this mental health issue resolve without experiencing unpleasant side effects.
- Omega 3 – Studies show that depression has a direct link to low levels of omega 3 fatty acids so supplements would prove beneficial.
- Rhodiola – Another natural remedy for treating depression is rhodiola. As with many other herbs, when taken in supplement form a person would find that mood improves, irritation decreases, better sleep is achieved, and energy increases.
- St. John’s Wort – This supplement has long been used to treat mild to moderate cases of depression. By boosting mood and reducing anxiety, people find this to be a great choice.
This article was meant for those people looking for a way how to deal with depression naturally.