Stress on any level and due to any cause can make a person’s life miserable. Often, people are treated with medications and therapies as means of overcoming this problem and while there certainly are times these would be the best approach, fun is another method for achieving stress relief. In fact, more and more medical and mental health professionals now respect the fact that fun is a highly effective means of distressing.
Causes of Stress
There are many reasons for someone to experience stress and while most respond favorably to the methods provided, it is important to point out that if an individual becomes depressed, medical intervention would be imperative. The reason is that the stress being experienced could actually be a symptom of something more serious, whether physical or mental.
We want to begin by listing some of the more common reasons for stress. By recognizing cause, an individual would have the opportunity to avoid certain situations or take appropriate actions to prevent the problem from escalating or reduce its effects.
- Financial Issues – One of the biggest reasons for stress has to do with finances. Having more bills than money coming into the household creates a sense of failure, hopelessness, and fear. Even minor financial issues can be devastating. For this, a person could always meet with a financial planner/advisor for guidance or consider financial assistance.
- Relationship Problems – Stress is also caused when a couple goes through challenges in a marriage or dating relationship. Every relationship has ups and downs but during the more difficult times, stress can quickly spiral out of control. If not dealt with properly, a situation such as this could lead to anger and permanently damaged relationships.
- Work Environment – Today, there are still many companies faced with layoffs and downsizing but without a reduction of workload. This means demand is incredible for people who still have a job. Obviously, being expected to do more within the same amount of time and for the same amount of money leads to incredible stress. Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done about the company’s situation although a person could learn helpful coping skills.
- Health Problems – Another cause of stress has to do with health, especially if the problem is serious. Although experiencing stress would be expected, seeing the right medical professional and making wise life choices would help. Today, amazing advancements in medicine have been made, making it possible for many major health problems to be controlled or even cured.
Time for Fun
We want to mention two important things when it comes to using fun as a means of stress relief. First, the things mentioned in this section would benefit both children and adults in most cases. Second, fun would be beneficial as a standalone method of distressing but it could also be incorporated into a more conventional medical treatment.
- Laughter – Multiple studies have been performed to determine the effects of laughter and the results have been quite informative. Laughter actually releases hormones that fight disease and reduce stress. Whether from a television show, spending time with friends, or participating in an activity, laughing on a daily basis is extremely beneficial.
- Dancing – This is an activity that can be enjoyed at a local nightclub or in the privacy of the home. For one thing, dancing exerts physical energy, which helps to eliminate stress but in addition, a person could choose a favorite genre or several genres of music to make the time even more enjoyable.
- Painting – Any type of expressive art such as painting or ceramics is also a great way to distress. Creativity for many people changes focus from the problem to the moment. In addition to projects within the home, a person could take a formal class through a community center or junior college.
- Massage – There is nothing like a good massage to get rid of stress. As the result of stress, a person’s muscles tighten. Massage is a great way to get the kinks out and allow the mind to relax. For this, the goal would be finding a qualified masseuse who understands the type of massage needed to help with stress relief.
- Day Trip – Taking a few hours just to drive through the countryside, visit a small town for antique shopping, or going to free museums or art galleries would be another fun method used for stress relief. This is something that anyone would enjoy, even people living on a tighter budget.
There are literally hundreds of fun things a person could do to get rid of or prevent stress. Therefore, when someone experiences anxiety and stress, these and other fun methods should be considered. Remember, fun is something that a person can experience alone or share with a special friend or family member.